Saturday, June 4, 2011

June Already!

Semester is complete and the schedule for the next semester has been shared. Now I've got to find a spot for a real vacation. Every break I've taken this year has been for family events or for continuing education activities and there has been little time for me to sit and simply breathe. As I suggest, taking time to have "nothing to do" is a true luxury we forget is a key element of good health. I have been running so much, taking care of so many tasks that I have been unable to do more than a brief sitting (meditation) every day.

I wanted to go to Tassajara - a lovely retreat center run by the San Francisco Zen Center located about 60 miles east of Monterey. I was advised that summer is NOT the time to visit - it is HOT and there is no air conditioning. Then I planned to visit my favorite simple and not expensive spa in Mexico. It's closing! Sob. The political situation in Mexico and the economy have impacted the program terribly. They don't plan to re-open.

What does one do when the options are daily becoming more limited? At this moment a "staycation" holds great appeal. Low cost, there are innumerable resources in Los Angeles that I have never explored and I won't have to worry about passport, air fare or hotel rates.

Taking care of the therapist is as essential to providing good services to my clients as it is to supporting my own good health.

2 comments:

  1. I always take a stayaction the week of Memorial Day and the week of Labor Day. It's great to play tourist and catch up on personal projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pasadena area could keep you busy for several days with visits to the Norton Simon Museum, Gamble House, Huntington Library and Gardens, and nearby Descanso Gardens and The Arboretum. Give a holler if you come out this way.

    One of my favorite local treats is to spend the day at the spa at the Montage in Laguna Beach. Purchase one treatment and you're entitled to spend the entire day, taking as many yoga or spinning classes as you like and spending hours moving from steam room to pool to jacuzzi and back again.

    They have a yoga on the beach special for $40 (I think on Tuesday and Sunday). That's a steep price for a yoga class, but it entitles you to spend as much time as you like luxuriating in the spa or pool.

    ReplyDelete